The LM3915 is a monolithic integrated circuit that senses analog voltage levels and drives ten LEDS, LCDs or vacuum fluorescent displays, providing a logarithmic 3 dB/step analog display. One pin changes the display from a bar graph to a moving dot display. LED current drive is regulated and programmable, eliminating the need for current limiting resistors. The whole display system can operate from a single supply as low as 3V or as high as 25V. The IC contains an adjustable voltage reference and an accurate ten-step voltage divider. The high- impedance input buffer accepts signals down to ground and up to within 1.5V of the positive supply. Further, it needs no protection against inputs of ±35V. The input buffer drives 10 individual comparators referenced to the precision divider. Accuracy is typically better than 1 dB. The LM3915’s 3 dB/step display is suited for signals with wide dynamic range, such as audio level, power, light intensity or vibration. Audio applications include average or peak level indicators, power meters and RF signal strength meters. Replacing conventional meters with an LED bar graph results in a faster responding, more rugged display with high visibility that retains the ease of interpretation of an analog display. The LM3915 is extremely easy to apply. A 1.2V full- scale meter requires only one resistor in addition to the ten LEDs. One more resistor programs the full- scale anywhere from 1.2V to 12V independent of supply voltage. LED brightness is easily controlled with a single pot.
- 3 dB/step, 30 dB Range
- Drives LEDs, LCDs, or Vacuum Fluorescents
- Bar or Dot Display Mode Externally Selectable by User
- Expandable to Displays of 90 dB
- Internal Voltage Reference from 1.2V to 12V
- Operates with Single Supply of 3V to 25V
- Inputs Operate Down to Ground
- Output Current Programmable from 1 mA to 30 mA
- Input Withstands ±35V without Damage or False Outputs
- Outputs are Current Regulated, Open Collectors
- Directly Drives TTL or CMOS
- The Internal 10-step Divider is Floating and can be Referenced to a Wide Range of Voltages The LM3915 is Rated for Operation from OOC to +700C. The LM3915N-1 is Available in an 18- lead PDIP Package.
|Power Dissipation (3) PDIP (NFK) 1365 mW||1365 mW|
|Voltage on Output Drivers||25V|
|Input Signal Overvoltage||+-35V|
|Divider Voltage||-100mV to V+|
|Reference Load Current||10 mA|
|Storage Temperature Range||-55°C to 150°C|
|Lead Temperature (Soldering, 10 sec.)||260°C|
* product image for illustration purposes only. actual product may vary.